Snake in Whisky

One of the most safe city so far I have seen is Ho chi Minh city. I went for a walk at 11pm and barring few guys interested in providing me girls, no one even turned and looked at me.

Contrary to my assumptions, Ho chi minh city seem to live the communist values without being too vocal about it. Didn’t see writing on thhe walls like one sees in Calcutta proclaiming that the ‘Leader of of China, is our leader’ or ‘ Red salute to you comrade Marx’. Yet city runs on motor cycles, thus saving millions of dollar for the country. Visitors aren’t allowed in room in the hotels after 9pm. Taxi driver’s seemed to be honest and didn’t ask for tips like the thai taxi drivers would do in Bangkok. There aren’t many karoke bars like one seems in Manila, with girls in skimpy dresses inviting one to go there to have a good time. Things are cheap.

Went to a bazaar called Saigon Square and in one shop, one lady of around 35 years of age asked me if I was married. Then she added, smiling at her sister who was sitting there, ‘ my sister says that you are very handsome, are you married? I think you are’. Such candidness seem be all pervasive in many of these Island countries. South Aisan countried are very different in that respect.

However, read in papers that in many of the road side food joints, hygiene conditions are extremely poor and many even add raw animal blood to the soup, logic being its fresh and refreshing. I read it the very first day I arrived in here and since then decided not to eat any of the small joints scattered in many of the roadsides.

Since then have discovered two Indian joints near the hotel Sofitel where we are staying. Alibaba is cheaper and food is quite decept. Ashoka is costilier and food is one of the best I have eaten, even in my beloved India.

We went to a joint where whisky having snake in it was being sold. My thai friend tried and liked it so much that went on to have four glasses. I couldnt master couragee to try it.

We got picked up in the morning from hotel and noticed all of us were going to the same factory and there were a Philipino, two Thai, two Spaniards, one Indonesian and an Indian based in Manila. The world suddenly seem to have collapsed.

Vietnam is still poor but it seems it is doing extremely well and foreign investments are pouring in and the country may see a turn around in 5-10 years time.

I spent 0.15million Dong on a dinner. Inflation might hinder Vietnam’s progress and shatter it’s dream, if not contained.

These are just my very first impression of the city Im visiting for the first time and hope it doesnt offend anyone, its not meant to be.

No comments: