Life changes for Miranda


I was talking to my collegue Miranda. She is leaving her current job in Manila to move to Singapore with her hubby and son. This is the first time she would be living out side Phillipines and she was shareing hew worries since we are experience living in a coutry where we werent born.

Miranda: You know, my parents are very young and they take care of our son. I dont even know how to cook.

she got one child and I know she wants another.

Self: So what happens to second child now? Beuatiful, natural Laguna

Miranda: Oh, I dont know.

Self: Guess you can ask your parents to go over to Singapore to stay with you when you have the second baby.

Miranda: No, they have business here, they cannt go. Besides, they are immigrating to US.

Self: wow, hows that happening?

Miranda: Oh, our aunt in US is sponsoring them. we are just deciding whether Dad will go alone, set up a business and if Mom should then join her. You know, we are very in turmoil. Im going to singapore, they are going to US. My brother will be in Manila since he is studying medicine. Im sure later he can go to US like I can try to go there as well. Only my other sister is crying a loot since she would be left behind in Manila.

We will be all at different places, we are such a small family. Parents and just three children.

It surprises me. Here was a family very close, quite well off, together. Suddenly, they will be at different corners of the earth, all hoping that someday, somehow they can reunite in US.

Im yet to fully understand this Filipino obessession to be in US, no matter what may be the cost.

No comments: