A little boy on 31st night in Kolkata

I have resolved to do as much good deeds as possible since I believe that it creats a chain reaction of good deeds and the world becomes atleast in a small way, a better place for us to leave.

We had gone to Arsenal to get the 31st night dinner in Kolkata. We ordered and there was long que of people waiting to collect their takeout before us. I suddenly spoted him begging, bare footed with cap, dirty shorts, torn sweater, barely 4-5 year old. People were coming out of Monginis and he was asking for something from them. I guess the spirit of new year being on my mind, I went and bought couple of cakes and gave him. He ate and while our eyes met, he gave a brilliant smile, now etched in my mind. My eyes were moistened.

He finished and our eyes met again. He pointed to the sweets in the sweetshop nearby. I went and bought him couple of sweets.

After five minutes, I look around for him. He was not there anymore. I guessed he had taken the sweets to him home.

No comments: